Saturday, July 12, 2008

Monsoons

The cicadas just started their sunset song outside. I left for a 10 day vacation from the scorching Phoenix heat to Lake Powell, and turns out it was the exact right amount of time. Because on my return I find that monsoon has bloomed. My favorite part of these almost unbearable summers. The wind, the lightning storms, the sudden rain downpours, the amazing rain-smell that the greasewood bushes give off, the desert green and the slight humidity all signal a few things to my thirsty, parched heart.

On the heavy, life is in constant flux. Those of us who live here know that the desert hides beneath its seemingly dry, dead shell nothing short of explosive life. All it takes is one good rain for the desert to remember what it’s like to be full of life again. (there is a time for everything…life, death, growth…) I’m not sure I really need to unpack that thought any more, but in case you aren’t picking up what I’m laying down…maybe this cycle of growth and life and death and re-growth can apply to us as people. The way we grow and learn and how we painfully wait out dry seasons with faith that the first glorious rain will soon be on its way.

A little less heavy, I love living the communal life. Living on a houseboat with about 10 other amazing people for a week just makes me wonder why we as a society moved away from the daily communal goodness. I mean, as a student of sociology and anthropology, I understand the process. It’s just that somewhere in my heart I can’t fathom why we decide to live such distant lives from even those we say we love the most. It could also have something to do with the two books I’m reading right now but mostly I think it may have more to do with the way I’m wired. Seems to me the early church was just a group of people that decided to live everyday together, forgiving the little faults that are bound to happen in close quarters and making sure everyone was taken care of because they just plain loved each other, and their Maker.

On the light side…school is coming soon and I can’t wait. Dreams of new planners and pens and books and the anticipation of a good semester are just buzzing around in my head. (Don’t judge me. I have said before I’ll likely be a lifelong student…that doesn’t mean I’m a total geek.)

AND lastly, a little advice from my vacation-it is likely as unwise as they say it is to rock climb by yourself. Because if you happen to jump from one rock to another and sprain your foot, then continue on for another hour or so, there is no one but yourself to blame when later that night you cannot walk and your foot is twice its normal size. The kicker-I didn’t even have a camera with me, so to add insult to injury, I have no good pictures to show for it.

Love love love.

No comments: