Tuesday, June 17, 2008

New.

I am a sucker for the new.

New clothes, new shoes, new places to eat, new music, new tattoos, new hair, new books. Somewhere in my head it's something a kin to exploring. Finding new favorites is like, the new last frontier. And listen man, I am just the girl to "boldly go." (3 points if you got the Star Trek ref.)

This craving for the new unknown gets me into trouble however. I know it's hard to believe that moi, the queen of frugality, the duchess of wise decisions could possibly get herself into a heap of trouble, but yes, it happens.

I can talk myself into anything. I can justify it all. It is like a catnip haze I slip into when shopping or eating at the new greatest place or seeing that new movie. I am tricked by the ambiance of food patios, the glow of the brightly colored cellophane packaging, the smell of new beautiful heels.

This, my sympathetic friends, is no way to be. Live with this insatiable appetite too long, and you'll find you have a lack of anything of substance and a surplus of bills.

SO. While reading one day, (proverbs 31 round verse 23 through 26) my sometimes slow, but brilliant little mind put together an effective budget plan. I am happy to report that as of yet, your girl has been steadfast in her resolve to save and spend wisely. You'd be surprised how many free budget making resources there are on out there on the interweb! I guess it may be an indication about the financial values of our culture...

All of that being said, here are a few of the *New* that I am excited about:

-Matt Nathanson (i know he's been around a while...but I just discovered my love for his lyrics)
-Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
-Viva la Vida
-The new neon printed shirts from TWLOHA
-Brayline...check it out on myspace
-Kung Fu Panda
-photography (ok this isn't new...but I forgot how much I loved it)

Let me know if you try any of these..and if you love them like I do.
I'll leave you with some of Mr Nathanson's lyrical genius from his song, Come On Get Higher:

" I miss the sound of your voice
the loudest thing in my head
and I ache to remember
all the violent, sweet, perfect words that you said


if I could walk on water
if I could tell you what's next
make you believe
make you forget"

1 comment:

Fitness In Real Life said...

Word... thesimpledollar.com is pretty tight...

welcome to the blogging community, your on my favs.